Saturday, May 8, 2010

Why I am a stay at home Mom

I thought for Mother's Day I should touch on a mom related topic.
I worked from the time I was 15-16 years old till I was laid off work when I was pregnant with my little girl, at 33. I was good at what I did, but it was always just a job. When I was laid off my husband and I sat down and did lots of talking and decided that at the end of the day we wanted one of us to be the primary caregiver to our child. I believe my daughter is only young once and she cannot possibly get the care and attention from a stranger that she gets from me. The most important roles I will ever play are as a wife to my husband and a mom to my child, and the idea of having to give them the last bit of attention at the end of a busy day from working outside the home just makes me sad.
Now that being said, we are not rich, in fact many people would say we are poor. We make conscious decisions and take actions to make it possible for me to stay at home. Part of my job, is figuring out where we can save money. I stretch and stretch every dollar that comes in. We do without luxuries, and have learned to find free or low cost things to do as a family, and at the end of the day we are all much happier than we were when I was working.
This is not the decision for everyone, not even for most people I know, and a lot of people who knew me in the past would be surprised that a feminist could be a stay at home mom. But at the end of the day feminism is about empowering women to have the choice and ability to do what they want, and this really is what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. It's true! We feminists needed to step out of our stereotypical 'woman in the kitchen' roles for a few decades to bring about change. But now we can go back with renewed appreciation to what our grandmothers and great grandmothers achieved.

    I really want to stay home. I only work one day a week, so I am on the cusp of fulfilling that dream. But our very stingy finances hinge on that paycheck. If I can find a way to make that money from home doing something I love, like knitting, I will work towards it.

    ReplyDelete