Thursday, May 26, 2011

Recharging your batteries

Last week I took a break from the norm and took a trip with my mother in law to a quiet lake home. There was no internet in the lake house and I thought that may put a damper on the fun, as it has become such an integral part of my day. However, I found that I was fine without it. Although I did miss the contact from friends and being able to just look something up when I wanted to go sight see, it was not a great disadvantage.
I took less than 5 toys for my daughter and she played with none of them. She had more fun running to the end of the large fenced yard and back than playing with the toys I had for her.
I read a novel, for the first time in a long time and we spent a lot of time outside when the day had not yet gotten too hot. We took picnic lunches on our trips and cooked simple things for dinner most nights. (Although I will admit we did eat out more than my frugal side liked, but it was supposed to be a break for everyone and sometimes on the go you have to.) We visited inexpensive sites around the lake house, and had lots of fun together as a family. My husband was not able to join us because of work and we missed him, but I am really glad I took time to take care of myself too.
I learned that I had taken too long between rests that I had stretched myself too thin and that I need to take a break before I get to that point next time. I learned that my rest helps my mood and therefore helps my child and husband's mood making for a happier family. I learned that no one can go at full speed for so long without having to break routine and recharge.
How do you recharge? How can you recharge if you don't have the ability to get away?

2 comments:

  1. Liz,

    I found you through Mrs. White's Vintage Healthy Home link up this week.

    I completely agree that we need to find a way to recharge our batteries. Otherwise, how can we be the best mother that God wants us to be? Sometimes I am lucky enough to have time away, but usually just a few hours. I've found the few times I have substituted for someone at our church's perpetual adoration has given me that much needed boost.

    Hope you'll visit my blog sometime...

    Laura O in AK
    daybydayinourworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, Thanks for stopping by! I did get a chance to look at your blog and start to follow. What a great family you have, and I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete