Wednesday, December 1, 2010

World AIDS Day

Today is World AIDS Day, and I just wanted to take a minute to talk about a person I knew who passed away due to AIDS. This young man was born with the virus, in the early 1980s and had a host of other problems because of his mother's addiction and lifestyle. He had developmental difficulties and social difficulties, but he also had a sweet smile and a complimenting heart. He spent the first few years of his life in a crib in a hospital with no loving attention from anyone because everyone was to scared to touch him. A couple I know adopted him when they became aware of him when was a toddler, and I met him when I worked for them. He lived much longer than anyone thought possible and defied all the odds. I really thought he may just live to see the cure.
He did not get to see that day, but my hope and prayers that soon that day will come. The advances in AIDS and HIV treatment have come tremendous leaps since he passed, but still no cure. Please take a minute today to remember all those this disease has taken and hope for a day when it will take no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment